Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Oh Look, There is ...

Okay, so it’s not really my best story but I have to share with someone. I was doing my usual PR thing (talking a nervous guest off the ledge) at a local TV station yesterday morning. I was chatting away when I looked across the room and saw … Mo’Nique. To which I lost all cool points by pointing exclaiming her name and grinning. I wasn’t necessarily star struck as much as surprised. She is appearing at the Improv in Miami and was there to plug the performances.

Look, I had celebrity sightings before. I’ve seen Puerto Rican singer/actor Chayenne eating at a Brazilian steakhouse in town. There was that summer in NYC where I saw Gene Anthony Ray (Leroy) up close and personal while they were filming the Fame television series on the street. Am I dating myself or what? Then there was Billy Idol at the height of his hotness snarling his way through Greenwich Village in a leather vest. It didn’t help that my mother had no clue who he was.

As you may remember, I saw tiny Elijah Wood in NYC this past fall. Come to think of it, my best celebrity watching has been in NYC. But the best was in Miami a couple of years ago. While munching on brunch with J, I saw former Menudo Johnny. Yes, I stared. Not because he was still hot (everyone knows Robby Rosa was the greatest Menudo EVER), it was because I was 15 again (in my mind). I reframed from walking up to him because I’m chicken and what the hell would I say that wouldn’t make us both look old and foolish.

I will say that Mo’Nique was extremely polite saying hello and goodbye to all onlookers. She referred to all staffers by their name infused with lots of babies and darlings. She even took pictures with people afterward. There was no star behavior besides a small entourage that included a fabulous make up artist. She was funny and congenial on and off camera. I respected her down to earth demeanor. Hollywood seems to be filled with too many celebrities who take themselves way to seriously. When did Madonna become a Rhodes scholar?

So, tell me your celebrity encounters. Who was nice and who was a monster? Dish!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home