Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, June 04, 2007

I Am woman Hear Me Roar

The weekend was a delightful combination of relaxation and pampering. My good girlfriends took me out for some Sex and the City pedicures for my birthday complete with racy talk, sisterly pep talks and ice cream. Gloriously rich ice cream. I popped my cherry at Cold Stone. I had wanted to try it but never got the chance. Delicious. As far as my SATC fantasies, I fancy myself a quirky Carrie knowing that I’m way more Miranda with hints of Charlotte. Oh well. My other two companions are strictly Samantha and Miranda with a healthy dose of Samantha. They’ll have to sort out who’s who.

Pop culture likes to spark rivalry between women because, face it, it more salacious and interesting than women who genuinely care and root for each other. It’s more fun to think Paris hated Nicole or Denise is a raging bitch compared to innocent Heather. These images play out on a daily basis but the truth is that there is a sisterhood between women that goes far beyond lifestyle or breast envy. There is a shared experience that connects us all.

All of this female bonding and sisterly mentoring made me think of the great female bonding movies. Here are a few of my favorites:

Thelma and Louise (1991)

Yes, they kill themselves in the end but what a ride. Sisterhood, Brad Pitt, car chases, Brad’s butt, attitude and Brad’s abs. What a thrilling look at female relationships from two women that couldn’t be more different.

The Joy Luck Club (1993)

This is one of my favorite movies. The part with the morphine –filled stick buns gets me every time. This is an excellent movie for mothers, daughters and friends. Extremely underrated but worth adding to Netflix.

The Color Purple (1985)

I remember watching this at the theater and liking it but not really getting it. It’s only as I get older that the themes of empowerment and self-esteem bring new meaning. Oprah, at her big girl best, is a marvel as Sofia. The scene with Shug walking to the church dissolves me to tears.

Charlie’s Angels (2000)

This movie is sheer cotton candy confection. It’s light fun and fantastical. It taps into ever woman’s desire to look alluring and sexy while kicking some serious ass in high heel boots. Great fun! Even the sequel, which suck compared to the original, is fun.

What are your favorite movies about ladies that rock?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

Fried Green Tomatoes is a pretty good female bonding flick-I love the part when Kathy Bates gets back at the snotty chicks in the parking lot.

Sense and Sensibility,with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson,reminds me in alot of ways of how my sister and I interact with each other(I'm the Emma Thompson).

9:23 AM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

I agree. I love when she backs into the girls car. Payback is a bitch.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home