Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Let the Shit Storm Begin

Call me the bitchy blogger today but what the hell happened on American Idol last night. It’s finally jumped the shark. This is the first time that someone has made it into the finals that doesn’t deserve to be there. Talented people have bit the dust too soon but the final always contained equal competitors. I’m a Melinda fan but even if I wasn’t, I’d agree that she deserves a spot in the finals for her consistency and never being in the bottom two.

It’s appalling to think that Blake Forrest Gumped his way into the finals. His status as the most talented male has served him well. Had the male field been stronger, he wouldn’t be there. He’s a great entertainer but not a vocalist. It’s a slap in the face for singers everywhere for his appearance in the finals.

Of course, it’s a hit for the show as well. If he wins, it sends the message that flashy packaging wins over substance. I have no doubt that Blake can mature and grow his skills but right now Melinda and Jordin are prepped for success. I always thought Jordin will reign victorious because she is more marketable but I thought Melinda would be nipping at her heels.

The up side of last night’s travesty is that Melinda isn’t bound by the ridiculous AI contract that makes you record that crappy inspiration song. She will get picked up by a record label that will allow her to do her thing. Look at Chris Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson. I just get pissy because it sends a message to kids that you don’t have to have strong vocals in a singing competition. All you need is a gimmick. Hence, all the Britney Spears and Paris Hilton worship amongst young adults.

With that said, am I the only one outraged by last night’s results show?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I was mad about Melinda's oust as well,PCD. All of my reality shows are disappointing me lately;what with Jaslen winning ANTM(Natasha so deserved it)and now Beatbox Boy getting a shot at winning AI! What is this world coming to,I ask you?

A Melinda/Jordin showdown would've been great,but oh no,a bunch of stupid squealing girls have to ruin everything by voting for that bozo instead of someone with actual talent! *taking deep breath* Okay,rant over. Jordin better win or I'll never watch this show again.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

I hear ya. If Blake wins, there will be a deluge of marginally talents singers with gimmicks next year.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home