Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

For Your Consideration

I saw a quirky movie Friday night. In between my bouts of end-of-the week exhaustion, For Your Consideration was amusing. From the twisted mind of Christopher Guest, FYC is a bizarre and often hilarious look into movie making, marketing and the entire nomination process. It has the usual Guest players Parker Posey, Catherine O’Hara, Eugene Levy, Harry Shearer, Jennifer Coolidge and more. It wasn’t the funniest Guest film I’ve seen but he has a profound talent for silly yet thoughtful comedies/parodies.

This reminded me of other wacky/bizarre films I adore. Here are a sampling of the best quirky comedies:

Better Off Dead (1985)

“I want my $3.” It doesn’t get funnier than that. This is one of the great underrated 80s comedies that starred John Cusak before he was crowned the king of self-important romantic comedies. It’s pure 80s pop culture fluff.

Being John Malkovich (1999)

I guess this is considered a comedy. I remember thinking it was incredibly surreal and imaginative at the time. It’s been years since I’ve seen it but I know it still holds up. Clever. Well written. Great casting. John Cusak before he got paunchy. Cameron Diaz is unrecognizable.

Best in Show (2000)

I don’t believe in cat people and dog people but this movie makes a strong argument that these groups exist. Everyone has witnessed this perverted new trend in dog ownership. Tiny canine designer clothes, shoes and diamond studded colors. This film is gloriously over the top with its insightful look into dog shows. Waiting for Guffman is another gem by Guest.

Pulp Fiction (1994)

I knew I was watching something edgy and fresh when I saw this at the theater. I saw it three times, which is unheard of for me. Each time someone walked out of the theater early, not sure of what they were witnessing. I was enchanted and mesmerized. It’s so original in it’s humor and tone. It's obvious Quentin Tarantino has a love of film, actors and the audience.

What are your favorite quirky comedies?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of Christopher Guest and always have been. Ever since I saw spinal tap, to me, one of the best comedies ever. I always search out stuff on Guest and found not only him with Ricky Gervais but also a posting on you tube of a short movie he did. Apparently he somehow got Microsoft to do a hilarious short move. I also found the site www.stuosbornshow.com which has the original movie and a bunch of ther clips. I think its friggin hilarious.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw that clip! it's hilarious. anything with fred willard and guest is just genius

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home