Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Shameless Plug

I almost decided not to touch this topic but couldn’t resist. My mother called me the other day with a hint of glee in her voice. Like she was going to drop some bombshell news on me. She proceeded to tell me that Star Jones had come forward with the UN-shocking news that she indeed had gastric bypass surgery and not medical intervention as she had been spinning it for years.

I gave my mother the same tirade I’m about to lay on you. Jones is a transparent media whore. She had been denying surgery for years. Perhaps, after all those years of claiming to love her larger figure and being an inspiration to big girls everywhere, she felt like a fraud by having the procedure. Maybe she never cared about her size until she got a man (as closeted as he may be). Maybe she was intensely private. Maybe she was embarrassed. Maybe she had a health scare.

All of these may be factors but the truth is she’s only coming forward with this news because her career is in the crapper and she pimping her new CourtTV talk show. Why else would she choose this time to reveal this secret? Seems suspect to me. Not to mention the Glamour Magazine article. She chose this opportunity to reveal something personal in order to sell herself. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised by the women her sold sponsorships to her over-the-top wedding.

In reality, the best role models show their imperfections. They don’t lie about them. It would have been a classy move for her to come clean on why she had the surgery. Health issues? Personal reasons? Time for change? Want to wear a tube top? It would have been more honest and helpful to the women that looked up to her.

What were your thoughts on the grand revelation?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I wasn't "shocked" at Star's big confession but she should've said something sooner,instead of the old chestnut about "diet and exercise".

Even if she had said "I prefer not to go into the details of my weight loss but I am supportive of safe and healthy procedures for anyone seriously considering a weight loss program.",I would've respected that. Trying to tell us that her rapid body change was all natural was as believable as Britney's "growth spurt" a few years ago(she grew a couple of bra sizes there pratically overnight!)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

That she's a shameless, sad, desperate fool.

Which is what I thought of her before the revelation, so it's all good.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home