Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I’m going to fess up to something that I’m not proud of. Over the past 10 months, I think we’ve grown closer. Therefore, I can make this confession without fear of judgment. I WATCHED AGE OF LOVE. There. I said it. Let the healing begin. It wasn’t my most profound 15-20 minutes but it was meaningful. Notice I didn’t make it through the entire show. I caught the replay of the first episode and thought in order to be an informed pop culture maven, I should watch a new show.

Big mistake. I had blogged earlier that this seemed like a dreadful idea and I was right. Age of Love made me uneasier than watching Being Bobby Brown and the Anna Nicole Show combined. My skin crawled, as he grew visibly unhinged that the women were all older than his 30 years. I will admit they selected an amazing group of older women. None of them had Jokeritis or bloated lips. They looked incredible and at first glance seemed to have their shit together. I was impressed, which made me more uncomfortable to see him squirm as they stated their age. Ouch!

Then I must have blacked out! The rest was a blur and I quickly switched the station. I’ve never considered myself a feminist (only a strong black woman) but this show sets women back. It’s feeding this new stereotype (okay not so new-The Graduate did it back in the 60s) of older women as predators. We now call them Cougars. Even that sounds dangerous.

What’s the use of women looking better and feeling better about themselves if they will eventually be labeled predatory? Out to rip young men apart with their ticking biological clocks, loose morals and extreme desperation. I may be overstating my case but the show was horrible and I haven’t even gotten to the unveiling of the 20-somethings. They were all tarted up and ready for some action. I’m sure their part will reveal them as equally desperate.

Networks seem incapable of depicting women on these dating shows in any real sense. The women selected are devious, trampy or emotionally unhinged. Granted I’ve run into some of these ladies but their must be one TV executive who is willing to cast real women on these dating shows.

What are your thoughts on Age of Love?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

Don't feel bad about Age of Love,PCD.I've sat thru entire episodes of Flavor of Love;Charm School just to see how these girls act up(I do think Lailene is not as bad as most of them).

Biologically speaking,older women and younger men have a better chance of enjoying each other in the bedroom,since both are phyically at their sexual peaks,so if this guy thinks that picking up an older woman is a bum deal,he's not so smart there.

As for the Cougar thing,it's another example of women viewing each other as the enemy. So sad.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Tere said...

I think part of the problem (to offer an answer to the question you pose) is that NO woman with any real sense of self-esteem and self-confidence would subject herself to the inherent humiliation of realty TV-show dating.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

Ladies you both make valid points. I just get so damn frustrated.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home