Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Oh Say Can You See!

Yes, the birth of our nation. July 4th. For me, Independence Day is a colorful mix of mosquitoes, hot dogs, fireworks and parades. As a child, I was much more impressed with the flashy side of July 4th but as I get older, I appreciate the meaning behind the festivities.

I thought it only fitting to examine the top 8 reasons why I love America. Here it goes:

Fast Food
In particular Taco Bell and Arby’s. I appreciate the fact that as Americans we are so busy that we eat in our cars out of greasy paper bags. It’s not the healthiest way to eat but it sure is exciting and dangerous.

Pop Music
Sure the foundation of American music is jazz, bluegrass and blues but combine the influences together and you get redheaded step child pop music. The Brits give us a run for our money but Americans love and support their popular music. We’re known for it.

Pursuit of Happiness
My dad is a firm believer that anything is possible in this country. I love the fantasy (that becomes reality) of the American dream. It’s evident by all the newcomers to the country. Where else can you have a cell phone, apartment and car within months of your arrival? Only in America my friends!

Hip Hop Culture
I adore the fact that the world has embraced hip-hop culture. You can call it thug life, prison mentality or ghetto but nothing categorizes the movement. It’s different things for different people. Watching white suburban moms and kids as well as Japanese teens embrace hip-hop is amazing.

Shopping Malls
Who was the brilliant mind behind putting hundreds of shops and restaurants under one roof? I’d like to shake their hand. It’s a truly magnificent feat that allowed a small town Ohio girl like myself to enjoy what would have been a tired existence in the boonies.

Diversity of America
I love that every state has its’ own flavor. The inhabitants are from different countries and managed to integrate their history and culture in that place. Love it!

Celebrity Worship
I’m glad I’m not the only pop culture student in the country. I find solace in knowing that I’m not the only one who wants to see pictures of celebrities without makeup. We sometimes take it too far but it speaks to our idolization with Hollywood and the rich.

Freedom of Speech
All hail the country that allows me to put my opinions on the Internet and allows others to respond honestly. I revel in the ability to say that Jennifer Anniston is talentless and Tom Cruise is a maniac. I cherish that gift and am forever grateful.

Happy Birthday America!

What's in your top 3?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

My Top Three Favorite Things About America are:

1) Freedom of Choice,to be who and what you want to be just as long as you're not hurting yourself or anyone else in the bargain.

2)Stand Up Comedy,which may be one of the few original forms of art created in this country. That you can walk into any nightclub or theater to see someone bring laughter(and occasional wisdom)to folks is pretty amazing.

3) Hollywood,the ultimate land of dreams. Love it or hate it,it is the closest you can get to a mythical kingdom on earth.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home