Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I Loove That Song!

I awoke this morning to the sound of thunderous rain on my window. Miami tends to be a tumultuous destination in late June. Besides a muddy mishap on my way to the car, which left me knee deep in black soot with my skirt around my waist. It’s been a pretty good day. It improved greatly when I turned on the radio and was greeted with the melodious sounds of Broadway by George Benson.

I’ve written before about the time travel ability of music to transport you to another time. Certain songs will always remind me of 7th grade and take me back to a simpler time. Likewise, some songs take you to a dark movie theater where they were emblazoned on your brain. Every time I hear Broadway, I think of All That Jazz. You know the opening audition sequence stuffed with leotards, leg warmers and jazz hands.

With that said, here’s a look at other songs that deliver me to the theater:

Dream Weaver- Gary Wright

This song forever will remind me of Wayne’s World when Mike Myers first sees the gorgeous Tia Carrera. I’m sure this was used in a million movies but this is my strongest memory.

Tiny Dancer-Elton John

Along with being one of my favorite movies based on acting, directing and script, Almost Famous used amazing music. Cameron Crowe is a master of bringing scenes to life with music. Great music from the era brought this film to life.

Dueling Banjos-Eric Weissberg and Steve Mandel

Eerie, I know. Just saying it, creeps me out. From the movie Deliverance, this is one song that immediately takes to the middle of the wilderness and tells you to squeal like a pig. Oh my!

Smack My Bitch Up-The Prodigy

Every time I hear this song, I have visions of women kicking ass in high heels and slinging hair in the first installment of Charlie’s Angels. Lucy Liu, Drew Barrymore and Cameron Diaz make butt kicking look fun and slightly aerobic in nature.

What song transports you to the movies?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

I Got You Babe and "Groundhog Day"

11:14 AM  
Blogger lady t said...

Well,before the Sopranos grabbed it for their big finale,"Don't Stop Believin" put me in mind of Monster(that scene where Theron and Ricci's characters hook up at the roller rink).

"Across 110th Street" by Bobby Womack always reminds me of Pam Grier's entrance in the title credits of Jackie Brown. Also,I can never hear "Stuck in the middle with you without thinking of Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home