Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Mommie Dearest

As I continue this journey into the exclusive motherhood club, it has made become more introspective. What kind of mother will I become? I know this about myself: I don’t baby talk animals, my husband or my own kid; I’m fun and playful with children but a traditional disciplinarian; I’m a strong proponent of not only books but film as well and I won’t dress my daughter (Oh yea, I’m growing a budding PCD) in all pink, skirts or frilly Loretta Lynn inspired frocks.

My parents were pretty powerful influences in my life. My mother worked her way through college after she got married and took vacations alone with my sister and me. My father was adamant that both my sister and me went to college and have a career so we wouldn’t be dependant on a man. Both of my parents were strong advocates for traveling. They felt we should see how other people lived beyond our small town, which explains the exotic vacations to Haiti and Belgium as a kid. Pretty progressive stuff for Ohio.

But they weren’t the only influences on my child rearing skills. As a true pop culture child, these women also opened my mind to alternative mothering skills:

Clair Huxtable-The Cosby Show

She was smart, beautiful and had a deliciously strong hand with her husband. I do think she is the #1 TV mom.

June Cleaver-Leave it to Beaver

I’ve always been fascinated with this notion of the perfect mom. She doesn’t exist and if you think back, June wasn’t that perfect. She had many days when she didn’t know what to do with the Beav.

Florida Evans-Good Times

Damn! Damn! Damn! This lady was the perfect urban mom. Related to her children but was strict when it counted.

Lois-Malcolm in the Middle

She’s crazy, vindictive and intuitive. I adore her. Plus she’s on top of her kid’s crap.

What TV parent would you pattern your real-life parenting skills after?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

TV moms that I liked:

Carol Brady:very understanding and supportive of everyone in that overcrowded household,plus never treated Alice like a servant or spoke down to her.

Roseanne Connor:Too controlling at times(especially with Darlene,the kid that took after her the most)but when push came to shove,totally loyal to her loved ones and gave some serious backup to folks she felt needed it.

Edith Bunker: I know it seemed like she took alot of crap off of Archie but if you watch the shows,you can see that she held her own against him when it was neccessary and passed on some good life lessons to her daughter as well.

Mabel Thomas: Good sense of humor and didn't take any nonsense off of anybody. When she left What's Happening,the show wasn't the same without her.

Lorelai Gilmore: The ideal mother as best friend-fun,smart,witty and none of that club hopping mess!

Honorable mention: Florida Evans,Elise Keating, Donna Reed

2:27 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

Honestly, I want to be more patient and affectionate and loving than my mom was, but inside, I totally relate to and admire Lois.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about TV dads?

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home