Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Missed Notes

You know I fancy myself a musical junkie. I’ve written of my admiration and cult-like following of Rent and the Dreamgirls soundtrack but I seem to missing something when it comes to the pop culture phenomenon of High School Musical. I tried watching the first one but couldn’t relate. So naturally, I tried it again with HSM2 but nothing. I flipped after 2 minutes.

I like cheesy corny musicals and teenybopper movies but HSM is over my head. I just found out that it was a movie and not a TV series. I really had no clue. I recently celebrated my goddaughter’s 10th birthday with dozens of hysterical tweens, loads of sugary ice cream and an hour of HSM reenactments. The budding musical majors knew all the words and choreography. I felt like my mother at that Menudo concert back in ’86. Clueless.

To make me feel even more out of it, the parents and a few stray college students knew the lyrics. I was just getting used to the idea of Hannah Montana. Now I have to contend with Gabrielle and Sharpay. What the hell is a Sharpay? Plus resident hottie Zac Efron is a bit feminine for me but hey I thought Duran Duran was the height of manliness witht their glistening lip gloss.

Now that I’ve admitted my deep dark secret of not getting HSM, I’ll admit that the marketing is genius. They float the lyrics to the songs on the bottom of the screen making it mandatory to buy the soundtrack. The cast of 17-23 year olds caters to a wide cross section of viewers. It’s a diverse cast so every child sees themselves in one character. Brilliant! I just wish the songs weren’t so awful but who am I to talk I like Let’s Bowl Tonight from that monster stinker Grease 2. Don’t even get me started on Cool Rider.

Maybe I’m just too old or shall I say. The Real World now repulses me. I no longer think a Mardi Gras visit would be fun. Who knows? I don’t have to be in on every trend. I mean I let tube tops and Bermuda shorts pass me by but I’m usually hip to the musicals.

Have I missed the boat? What do you think of HSM?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I haven't gotten into HSM either-saw all the merchandise for it before I even knew it existed and while I'm a tad curious,I am not in a rush to check the first one out just yet.

Efron seems like the Leif Garrett of this generation(which tells you how old I am,dropping references like that!) and don't feel bad about the bowling song from Grease 2. I still dig that Twist of Fate song from that godawful Travolta/ON-J reunion movie, Two of a Kind,which is so much worse:)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

Why you gotta be so hard on Grease 2?

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home