Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Move Over Kelly Clarkson

Since my commute to work can be tedious and boring, I find all kinds of ways to entertain myself. One of those is to watch my fellow commuters. Are they plucking their nose hairs? Reading the paper? Picking their nose? All of this entertains me but the most rewarding is the driver who seems to be performing in their own music video complete with closed eyes and waving hands and fingers. I love that.

Last week, a 40-something blonde with a Carol Brady shag was working it out. She was singing with such conviction, I had to know what she was listening to. So I started the radio scan and found her inspiration in Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield. Home girl WAS the American Idol that morning.

Naturally, I started thinking about my own car singing. I’ve been known to get down on some Stevie Wonder or the Dreamgirls soundtrack. I love the sense of abandonment that comes with singing in your car or shower. You don’t care who hears you because you are Mariah Carey in your mind. Singing live from Madison Square Garden. For just that moment you’re the celebrity minus the big paycheck and inappropriate lover. I put on my shades and slip into another persona.

It’s natural in this day of celebrity worship to have a keen fantasy life. How else do you explain all of the men in tight T-shirts and overly frosted locks? With that said, here are few of my car singing favorites:

Journey

I can sing almost any Journey song all the way through. I’m partial to Lights and that monumental 80s soft rock classic Open Arms.

Bonnie Raitt- Something to Talk About

I’m not sure I know all the words to this song but I love belting what I do know. The lyrics are flirty and fun.

Madonna-Into the Groove

This may be her most playful song and was long before she started talking with an affected British accent and adopting African boys. I sing this and I’m in junior high again with teased hair in a banana clip and way too many accessories.

Grease soundtrack

I can sing every song on this album (am I dating myself there?). And if you go to my parent’s basement in Ohio, you’ll find the original album along with Footloose and Xanadu soundtracks. Yikes!

What songs make you boogie in the car?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

Me and Bobby McGee, in the car but especially in the shower!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

all these songs bring back memories..especially the madonna one..great post!

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home