Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, October 05, 2007

The Freshman Class

Boy, it’s been extremely difficult finding time to blog lately. Not only have I been more tired as my impending motherhood and expanding belly catch up with me, I’ve been in a TiVo frenzy trying to catch new shows while staying true to the oldies. This year’s freshman class is like most, some that are early standouts, some may emerge as dark horse favorites and some simply won’t graduate. You take your pick.

I’ve tried to give a quick run down on what my first impressions were. You can take it with a grain of salt considering I really talked up Studio 60 when it first came out. How was I to know that I’d instantly get bored and stop watching a couple of episodes later? With that said, I also called Heroes a winner and I stand by that.

Here’s a Diva’s look at the freshman class of 2007:

Chuck

Not bad. It’s an amusing premise of a regular geeky tech that unknowingly (at least at first) gets lured into the dangerous world of international espionage. I’m not sure this works in an hour setting; a half hour might have been more fitting. I still need to watch the second installment on TiVo. It has potential in its lead Chuck (Zachary Levi) and his weird buddy Morgan (Joshua Gomez).

The Big Bang theory

Nerds have the run of nighttime television these days. This particular group of intelligent nerds are great fun. Led by Leonard (Johnny Galeki) and Sheldon (Jim Parsons) the laughs are non-stop. The problem is the pretty girl across the hall, who is less pretty and not funny enough to compete. The laughs continue with Trekkie/Ringo look-a-like played by Simon Helberg and mute Kunal Nayyar.

Cane

Let me start by saying I love me some Jimmy Smitts. That’s a tall drink of something. I love that he’s back on TV and that the cast is minority. You don’t see that much. The first episode was interesting but may be a bit too soapy for me. It’s a combination of Que Pasa USA and Dallas. I’ll watch a couple more episodes. The story of sugar cane growing family is intriguing but Smitts brothers are pointless and far less interesting than he is. Time will tell if I continue to tune in.

Cavemen

Funny in a commercial. Ridiculously unfunny as a TV show. Appallingly not comic.

Carpoolers

The premise is funny and relatable but they need to tighten up the writing. There are too many gaps where the laughs stop. The standouts are lazy Marmaduke (T.J. Miller). It’s amusing that he walks around with without pants. His father Gracen (Fred Gross) is also funny. Reminds me of Steve Carell. The uptight Aubrey (Jerry Minor) has hilarious moments.

Dirty Sexy Money

I didn’t expect this to me so funny but it cracks me up. The first 15 minutes of the first episode were hilarious. Peter Krause as Nick is the perfect straight man and lawyer/babysitter/therapist to this family of misfits. Donald Sutherland (I’m loving him more and more) and Jill Clayburgh (great to see her onscreen again) are outstanding as the filthy rich leaders of the dysfunctional Darling family. Glenn Fitzgerald plays my new favorite character Father Brian. I hate you. Billy Baldwin came back to TV just in time to share screen time with Candis Cane. I love it! What daring casting. The Baldwin Brothers must be having a field day with this. I think this will continue to get better. I’ll stay tuned.

Big Shots

Or should I say Desperate Husbands. It’s not extremely compelling but I wonder whose idea it was to try to make a male and less racy version of Sex and the City. Will men really watch this show? It seems geared toward married women and gay men who would be better off watching the real thing. It was okay but not special.

Pushing Daisies

I’m fascinated. Will I continue to feel this way? We’ll see. I love the dark humor and Crayola colors of the show. And who is that narrator? Is he from The Grinch because he sounds familiar? I will say that it’s the most original of the new shows and therefore a winner already. How many shows can we watch about lusting doctors or rich affluent families? Adore it. Can’t wait to see more.

Kitchen Nightmares

Love the British version but wasn’t sure that Gordon Ramsay’s in-your-face tactics would work on Americans but the Scot must have been a soccer hooligan in a past life. He commands a certain respect but I think people are also intimidated by him, as well. I’ll tell you this, watching this show will turn you off dining out. The kitchens and often the food are disgusting. Yet, I can’t turn this off. Go figure.

What new shows are floating your boat?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I love Kitchen Nightmares(Ramsey giving folks hell never grows old for me) and meant to watch Pushing Daisies but not sure if I will get to it,unless I check it out on ABC online.

So far,I like Reaper(another nerd herd show,but with demon fighting and a very snarky Ray Wise)and am still on the fence about Moonlight. I'm pretty set with my TV schedule at the moment so I don't think that I'll be seeing most of the rookie shows(my sister puts in a strong vote for Bionic Woman).

Besides,Project Runway will be back for season four soon and probaly The Amazing Race'll rear it's head before the year is out.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

Definitely not "Private Practice." I didn't get the big deal about Addison in "Grey's Anatomy," and I especially don't get a series built around her. And I definitely don't get THIS series built around her. An early casualty of the freshman class, I predict, unless ABC feels it owes Shonda Rhimes and keeps the show around longer than it deserves.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

I like Dirty Sexy Money too, and am still watching Big Shots (though it annoys me a lot). Love Pushing Daisies, too.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home