Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Name That Tune

I thought I’d take this glorious Friday and talk about music. Usually I ask what is your favorite. Today I’m turning the tables. At the suggestion of my buddy the real JR, I’m turning to Blender magazine’s list of the 50 Worst songs. I’m unsure of the criteria since there are some good songs on the list. Sure, they were played out on the radio. Sure, some have become elevator muzak but sometimes you have to take things within the context of the times.

Sure, my hair was sky high and teased in high school but that was very fashionable in the 80s. I was the Sarah Jessica Parker of my school. Sure, my childhood pictures show me wearing drab browns, mustards, olives and red shoes but that was all the rage at the time. You have to take things in context or at least that’s what I tell myself to justify the choices. The same applies to music. I Ran by Flock of Seagulls seems silly now but at the time that was the use of cutting edge synthesizers.

With that said the list contains some truly deserving candidates. There was no surprise to see Uncle Kracker, Gerardo (though, Rico Suave was the jam when I was a teen) or Aqua (could that Barbie song be any more ridiculous). But there were a few that surprised the hell out of me.

Here are a few that didn’t deserve to make the list:

#48 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Sure, this isn’t the best Beatles song ever and maybe the reggae/ska music should have been rethought but I absolutely love this song. It is one of my favorite Beatles songs. Even a bad Beatles song is better than most songs.

#42 Sounds of Silence

Yes, it’s a corny folk song but it is still an excellent example of great songwriting. It may sound like cerebral babble but for its time it was a pioneering way to express emotions. No one knocks Stevie Nicks for her lyrics.

#35 Shiny Happy People

Blasphemy!! How did an R.E.M. song get on this list? I’m appalled and outraged. How dare THEY! !@#$

#26 The End

Okay, I will be the first to admit that this song IS pretentious and slightly creepy. The whole part about killing his father is bizarre in a serial killer kind of way but it’s not on par with Color Me Badd’s I Wanna Sex You Up. Not even in the same league.

What do you think shouldn’t have made the list?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unaccountably missing from the list: Rod Stewart's "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You," for my money, the most simplistic and boring words and lyrics ever to crack the Top 40. And that doesn't even take into account Rod's wussy performance. I wish he'd cut the mellow crap and go back to rocking hard like he used to.

10:42 AM  
Blogger lady t said...

Five For Fighting's "Superman" is a pretty sweet song there,even if you're not a big Man of Steel fan. I'd gladly take that one off and replace it with Britney Spears' "Lucky",which is such a horrible sounding,self involved pity party of a ballad that playing it in prisons would be considered a violation of the Geneva Convention!

Take a listen,if you dare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNVZrQ6Q_pQ

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home