Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, October 29, 2007

A Weekend of Revelations

Once again, I’ve come to you for a confessional of sorts. This weekend turned into a pretty balanced time. Saturday was shopping and dinner with a cute boy (okay he’s only 2 but what a doll) and a good friend followed by a day of rest and homemade pizza (this could become my new favorite thing to do).

And here’s where the confessions begin:

Love That Piven

I’ve been behind on my movie watching. At this point it’s not about the new movies as much about just watching something new. I’m playing major catch up now. I caught the flick Smokin’ Aces. I remember seeing the preview and thinking it was a slick MTV style movie; heavy on flash but light on content. The plot is simple. Buddy Israel (Jeremy Piven) has turned informant to the mob thus putting a large bounty on his death and heart. Piven was spot on as the greedy Vegas performer who realizes his good days are coming to an end. His unraveling was emotional.

Besides an ending that takes itself a bit too seriously, the movie was good fun. The hit men that come out of the woodwork are a blast. That’s where the fun lies. Who will get to him first? Great fun. Not to mention it has one of those Cannonball Run casts that’s full of known actors with silly accents and disguises. I don’t know why but I enjoyed the free ness and macabe humor. There’s a ridiculously funny scene involving a Ritalin-addled boy who spent too much time watching BET and hip hop videos. Hilarious!

The Sun Will Come Out

Okay, here comes the bigger revelation. I spent a couple of hours watching the documentary Life After Tomorrow. What is that you say? It’s a film the chronicles the little girls who starred as Annie or orphans in the Broadway and National touring casts of Annie. Interesting you say? Probably not but I was enthralled with the doc. Here’s the kicker. I don’t know if that says more about me or the power and pull of Annie.

I’d like to think that Annie is such an American musical classic that everyone would listen to 30 and 40 something women talk about their careers as musical ingénues. You tell me. Most still remember the songs and choreography. All say it was one of the best times of their lives. There were lots of fun tidbits like overbearing stage moms, divorcing parents and the agony of developing breasts and being booted from the show. It was fun seeing the famous Annies like Sarah Jessica Parker and Allison Smith (Jennie from Kate & Allie) not to mention a host of others from 70s-80s TV and pop culture.

With that said, I’ve just ended my confessional.

What do you have to confess from this weekend?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

Max spent the ride home going, "Mami, y Daiva?"

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home