Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, November 05, 2007

Valley of the Fakes

I survived another weekend and even have the strength to talk about it. All I can say is there was a car trip to the West coast with my in-laws (J had to work) and a baby shower (not mine). Anyone who knows me, knows that baby showers are one of my least favorite things in the world. It’s not that I don’t love babies or baby items. I even strongly believe in the ritual of making them women-only. It’s a right of passage like getting your period and your first broken heart- you muddle through it.

But for some reason you put all those factors together and I lose interest. I participate because I’m a wickedly traditional diva. I much rather go to a bridal shower. With that said, I actually had a good time considering the circumstances. It’s also prepping me for my Big Fat Black Puerto Rican Baby Shower that is coming up shortly.

I got into town early and was treated to a delightful treat. I’d never done this before but felt it was about time. Being the prickly movie and pop culture critic I can be, I was so surprised by my acceptance of this taboo practice. Enough of the foreplay. I’m coming clean. I saw my first bootleg movie this weekend. It was Why Did I Get Married? Besides a man coughing, baby crying, low audio and the occasional large bodied person that blocked the screen, it was an enjoyable experience. Would I do it again? I was poised to do it again with what I was assured was a stellar copy of American Gangster, alas I didn’t have the opportunity.

WDIGM was surprisingly funny and universal. I admire Tyler Perry but his movies tend to be very heavy handed in their message. Sometimes catering too much to his targeted market. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but he has the potential to be more that a great black writer and filmmaker. He can be a talented filmmaker. Period. Look at the growth in Spike Lee and Woody Allen when they stretched their talent.

WDIGM tells the story of four seemingly happy married couples. A yearly get together exposes the true state of their relationships. It’s not so much important to know the couples or their circumstances as much as the writing was witty and authentic. Singer Jill Scott was fantastic as the mistreated Sheila and Tasha Smith stole all her scenes as the ghetto fabulous businesswoman Angela. America’s Next Top Model fans know Smith as Tyra’s drama coach to the models. I wasn’t going to mention Janet Jackson’s participation but I will say this. She only sucked when it came to her dramatic scenes. That’s when the infamous Jackson whisper crept in. Other than that she was okay.

I kinda feel like a badass now. Watching my bootleg movies. I didn’t think much of my fake Dolce and Gabana purse and Chinatown Gucci watch but the movie sent me to another level.

What badass things did you do this weekend?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I saw my first Tyler Perry movie in bootleg version,Diary of a Mad Black Woman,and it didn't have too many flaws in it,plus I really liked the story.


I do agree that Perry can be very obvious with his messages but he does have a way with characters that makes them feel very true to life. I even dig it when he plays Medea,since he presents her as a person in her own right instead of a fat lady punchline.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home